Ministry of Christian Formation
The Catechetical Mission of the church is to
bring about in the believer an ever more mature faith in Jesus Christ, a deeper knowledge and love of his person and message, and a firm commitment to follow him. National Directory for Catechesis, page 54
The Christian Formation ministry at Our Lady of Lourdes serves to help people realize and embrace their call to life-long to faith in Christ through active understanding of and participation in the sacramental, liturgical, communal, missionary, and service life of the church – always with Jesus Christ at the center. This ministry starts with helping parents and godparents prepare for the Baptism of Children and ranges through relevant catechetical and sacramental preparation for persons of all ages.
Our mission and tasks are directed at the Catechetical Mission of the Church through active promotion of:
- knowledge of the faith
- knowledge of the meaning of liturgy
- moral formation in Jesus Christ
- prayer and learning to pray
- active participation in the church community
- the mission of the church as Christians in society
Under the direction of the Archbishop of Miami, working through the Office of Catechesis and the Office of Lay Ministry and Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, and in conformance with the directions of the Pastor and the needs of the parish community, the Ministry of Christian Formation addresses:
- Catechetical formation and sacramental preparation for children in grades one through twelve
- Catechetical and sacramental preparation for the Sacraments of Initiation for Adults
- Life-long Formation services for adults
- Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults / Rito de la Iniciacion Cristiana de Adultos
- Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults – for Children
- Coordination of Preparation for the Baptism of Children
- Ministry to Youth and Young Adults
- Formation and development of catechists who serve the parish
Programs involving children generally conform to the academic school year and follow the calendar of the Miami-Dade Public School System, and as appropriate, the calendar of the Catholic School System of the Archdiocese of Miami. Catechetical services and related programs for adults are geared to the liturgical cycles of the Church or other scheduling opportunities that may exist.
Most class schedules and event schedules are posted on the parish web site. Please see the appropriate detail schedules for specific information.
The Office of Christian Formation consists of the Director of Christian Formation, two full time office staff, and the parish Youth Minister. Most catechetical services are delivered by nearly one hundred volunteer catechists and catechetical leaders.
The office is open year around daily from 8:00 A.M. until 4:00 P.M. on the same calendar schedule as the parish office.