Since 2002, the Catholic Church in the U.S.A. has followed a set of rules initiated by the bishops of the country and approved by the Vatican for dealing with sexual abuse of minors by priest or deacons: The Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People. In the Archdiocese of Miami, the policy includes vulnerable adults.
Every U.S. diocese/eparchy must meet a specific set of requirements. We will share a couple of them each week throughout April during Child Abuse Prevention Month. The Archdiocese of Miami is in compliance and has been each of the 17 years since the inception of the Charter.
- To have a written policy for dealing with sexual abuse of minors by priests, deacons and other Church personnel.
- To appoint a victim assistance coordinator, who is available for the immediate pastoral care of persons who report having been sexually abused as a minor by a priest or deacon.
- Statewide (DCF) Abuse Hotline
1-800-96-ABUSE | (1-800-962-2873)
- Archdiocesan Abuse Hotline
1-866-802-2873 | (1-866-80-ABUSE)
- Victim Assistance Coordinator
Peter Routsis - Arroyo: 1-866-802-2873